I am Senior Digital Editor for Mother Jones. I love working on multipart, digital-first investigative reporting projects. I oversee all aspects of digital audio and video production for Mother Jones, including producing, writing, shooting, and editing. Highlights include:
- Election 2016 scoop: Trump's prestigious modeling agency hired foreign models without work visas, and kept them in a cramped basement. Several months later, the agency was forced to close down.
- 6-part documentary series: undercover with reporter Shane Bauer, deep inside America's private prison industry. (Don't miss the bit where I'm arrested.)
- I just launched the Mother Jones Podcast, a weekly showcase of signature investigations as told by reporters and newsmakers.
- Wherever eyeballs watch or fingers swipe, that's my sweet spot.
- China's fracking revolution that's screwing its people.
- Animal Planet drugged and trapped animals on its top reality show.
Before working as Senior Digital Editor for Mother Jones, I was senior producer for its reporting project Climate Desk—a first-of-its-kind climate collaboration across top news outlets including The Guardian, Wired, Slate and The Atlantic. I wrote Beijing Blur (Penguin 2008) about China's thrilling underground youth scene. I have a masters of journalism from NYU, and has produced a variety of award-winning shows in my native Australia, including the national affairs program Hack. I also invited myself to Thanksgiving dinner after wrongly receiving invites for years from the mysterious Tran family, Somewhere, USA.
My beats: the environment, social and criminal justice, and the media, with a special focus on breaking news operations for our bureau in New York City (my second home). I also write a lot about China (my third home), and Australia (my first home). I specialize in solo "everything in a backpack" guerrilla videography: shooting, editing, post-producing. I think video should be trusted, brilliant, beautiful, and go viral.
Awards & recognition:
- 2018 Society of Publication Designers Award & two 2018 Telly Awards: Finding a Fix (Producer)
- 2017 Emmy Nomination; 2017 Telly Award; 2017 ONA Award; and 2017 Society of Design Professionals Award: My 6-part documentary companion to My Four Months as a Private Prison Guard.
- 2015 Shorty Award: best "Green" social media presence for Climate Desk.
- Two 2014 Telly Awards (Internet/Online Video in both the News/News Feature and Political/Commentary categories).
Story: Letters to Newtown
- 2013 National Magazine Award (Video).
Mitt Romney's 47 Percent Remarks to a Private Fundraiser
- 18th Annual Webby Awards (Nominee): 47 Percent video.
- 2013 Media for a Just Society Award
Story: Solitary in Iran Nearly Broke Me. Then I Went Inside America’s Prisons,” by Shane Bauer.